So let's break out the blender.
Theres' a fine art to a solid smoothie. You could end up with a calorie bomb in a glass, or just a runny green mess. Neither option is really what you're going for. Experimenting with smoothie mixes is a good way to break my son out of a mood (he's only three, should it really start this early?), all it takes is a stocked pantry and freezer. Here's my starter smoothie shopping list.
- ground flax seeds (omegas, nutty flavour, thickener - store well in fridge for ages)
- natural nut butter, personal favourite is Adams (store upside down before opening, mix after opening then store in fridge)
- maple syrup
- dried dates
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- frozen, chopped bananas
- frozen raspberries
- frozen blueberries
- frozen, pre cooked beets
- frozen, cubed spinach (I cannot get onboard with kale in my smoothie)
- unsweetened almond or coconut milk
- plain yogurt
- coconut milk
- cold espresso (toss it in with a banana, some cocoa and almond milk)
MIX IT UP
- mint (try a frozen yogurt mango mint lassie with spinach)
- don't add kale (I wasn't kidding)
Get to mixing. Remember to add ice and that you never need as much liquid as you think you do.